File photo of Muslim pilgrims walking on roads as they head to cast stones at pillars symbolizing Satan during the annual haj pilgrimage in Mina on the first day of Eid al-Adha, near the holy city of Mecca (Photo:Reuters)
Egypt’s consulate in Jeddah announced that the latest death toll for Egyptian pilgrims killed in last month’s Mecca stampede has increased to 165 with another 73 missing, according to a Friday statement by Egypt’s ministry of endownements .
The casualties increased by 17 people in the span of three days, according to the official numbers provided by Egyptian authorities in Mecca.
Meanwhile, Egypt’s ministry of endownementssaid in its latest statement that the number of those missing has decreased to 70.
Late Thursday, a statement by the Egyptian consulate in Jeddah said that they are currently awaiting DNA test results to identify the bodies.
Meanwhile, the Saudi Arabian health ministry announced early Friday that all DNA tests were carried out and all 100 casualties have been identified, head of the general health care told MENA.
The stampede occurred on Wednesday 23 September as pilgrims converged in Mena, just outside Mecca, to take part in a ritual involving the symbolic stoning of the devil.
Investigations into the hajj tragedy are being conducted by Saudi Arabian authorities.
Saudi authorities have not released an updated death toll since last Saturday, when the number of those killed stood at 769. However, the number of those reported injured has increased to 1600.
Almost two million pilgrims took part in the stoning ritual this year, with an estimated 62,000 Egyptians performing the hajj in 2015.