An Egyptian military helicopter flies over debris from a Russian airliner which crashed at the Hassana area in Arish city, north Egypt, November 1, 2015 (Reuters)
Russian news wire Interfax reported on Friday that Egypt will issue a tentative report on the Russian Airbus A321 which crashed over Sinai last month, although this has not been confirmed by Egyptian officials.
On Tuesday, the Kremlin said the Russian flight, which crashed on 31 October leaving all 224 people on board dead, was downed by a bomb, although this has not been confirmed yet by the Egyptian authorities heading the investigation into the crash. The flight crashed in the middle of Sinai as it was on its way from Sharm El-Sheikh Airport to St Petersburg, Russia.
Shortly following the incident, Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi urged against speculation until the conclusion of the investigation, which he said “might last for months.”
Despite Russian assertions that a bomb caused the crash, Russian presidency spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Friday that investigations into incidents of this nature could indeed take months to conclude.
The Russian Federal Security Service director has offered a reward of $50 million for information leading to those responsible for the attack, according to Russian media reports.
Hours after the crash, the ISIS militant group released an online statement claiming it was responsible for downing the flight. On Wednesday, the group said it smuggled a bomb on board the plane after discovering a "way to compromise the security" of the Egyptian airport.
Ahram Online could not get a comment from the aviation ministry until publishing time.