Egypt's FM in contact with French authorities over compensation for Egyptian victim of Paris attacks

Menna Alaa El-Din, Monday 23 Nov 2015

Ahmed Abo Zeid
Foreign ministry spokesman Ahmed Abu Zeid (Al-Ahram)

The Egyptian foreign ministry said on Monday it would send information on the family of an Egyptian victim of the recent Paris attacks to the French government, which will pay the necessary compensation to the victim's family, Egypt's state owned MENA agency reported.

Saleh El-Gebali, 28, was among the 130 people killed on 13 November during a string of coordinated terrorist attacks that targeted restaurants, a concert hall and the vicinity of a sports stadium in the French capital.

A plane carrying El-Gebali's body arrived in Cairo late Friday from France, and his funeral was held early Saturday in Tanta in the Nile Delta governorate of Gharbiya.

The spokesperson for the Egyptian foreign ministry, Ahmed Abo-Zeid, refuted in a press statement reports indicating that French authorities claimed El-Gebal died of "natural causes," describing the news as "not accurate."

Another Egyptian, Lamia Mondeguer, who had dual French citizenship, died in the attack on a restaurant on Rue de Charonne in the 11th district.

Abo-Zeid told Ahram Online that French authorities are not handling Mondeguer's case in the same way as El-Gebaly's, "because they consider her a French national."

Another Egyptian, whose passport was found by police near the stadium, was wounded in last week's assault.

Waleed Abdel-Razzak, 27, is now being treated at a hospital in the north-western suburb of Clichy, Paris. He had been mistakenly portrayed by some media outlets as a suspect in the attacks.

"The Egyptian consulate in Paris is in direct contact with his family, and representatives from the consulate are currently assisting his family in all procedures," Abo-Zeid said.

Short link: