Hundreds of homeless people that have been sitting-in for three month at Cairo’s government media building, Maspero, are finally going “home,” after the government said they have found residence for them.
It was reported that Saturday morning saw violent clashes between the beleaguered protesters and the government office representatives, who ended the mayhem by stressing that the residential units wereready.
Traffic in front of the state TV building has returned to normal and all tents have been removed.
Meanwhile, military and police troops are evidently present, and army soldiers have been putting up cement blocks in front of the TV building, apprently to prevent similar sit-ins from taking place in the future.
On the other hand, the 1000 homeless families that had been gathering in the city of El-Nahda have not yet gotten their promised units.
Sanaa Ali, a woman protesters, said no one from the governorate office came to show them their designated units.
The destitute protesters used to be tenants in the cities of El-Nahda and El-Salam before the landlords kicked them out in the wake of the January 25 Revolution, leaving over 1,300 families without accommodation.