Italian FM satisfied with Cairo cooperation in Regeni inquiry: Egypt FM spokesperson

Ahram Online , Sunday 20 Mar 2016

In a statement posted on Facebook, the spokesperson said that the Italian foreign minister spoke with his Egyptian counterpart over the phone late on Saturday

Giulio Regeni
Circulated photo on Social Media of the Italian student Giulio Regeni

Italian foreign minister Paolo Gentiloni has expressed satisfaction with Egypt’s cooperation in the investigation of Italian student Regeni’s murder, according to a Facebook statement by Egypt’s foreign ministry.

The statement by the foreign ministry spokesperson says that Gentiloni spoke to his Egyptian counterpart Sameh Shoukri over the phone on Saturday evening.

The ministers also reportedly discussed bilateral relations and the crisis in Libya.

Last week, Egypt's top prosecutor Nabil Sadek and his Italian counterpart met in Cairo to discuss the latest developments in the investigations.

The Egyptian government has not named any suspects in the murder of the 28-year-old PhD student whose body, which showed signs of torture, was found along a highway near Cairo on 3 February, nine days after he disappeared.

On 10 March, the European parliament urged Egypt to provide Italy "with all the documents and information necessary to enable a swift, transparent, and impartial joint investigation."

Short link: