Mubarak trial 5th session: Police witnesses say El-Adly ordered use of live ammunition on protests

Ahram Online , Thursday 8 Sep 2011

In a turnabout from yesterday's session, top police witnesses accuse former Mubarak minister of interior, Habib El-Adly, of directly ordering the use of all means necessary — including live fire — to stop January's protests

The eighth and nineth witnesses in the trial of ousted president Hosni Mubarak, his two sons, his former minister of interior, Habib El-Adly, and top aides on charges of shooting dead peaceful protesters have revealed information that incriminates El-Adly, former police General Omar El-Farmawy, and former police General Ahmed Ramzy directly.

According to today’s testimonies, El-Adly directly ordered his aides to use any means available to stop protesters, including the use of live ammunition if necessary.

The eighth witness: El-Adly ordered men to use all means against protesters

The eighth witness in Mubarak’s trial, police Colonel Essam Shawky, revealed in front of court that there were orders from El-Adly, the former minister of interior, to cut the Internet and mobile phone lines, according to the information he heard from police General Hussein Abdel Hamid.

The 39-year-old police colonel, who works in the conscripts affairs section, stated that El-Adly did not care when he was informed that protesters were killed in Suez and that he ordered his aides in a meeting that was held at the ministry on 27 January to use all means possible, including using live ammunition, to stop the protesters.

Shawky also presented to the court CDs with footage from the protests showing security forces shooting protesters in Cairo and Alexandria. He also added that he refused to carry out orders to shoot protesters on 27 January.

El-Adly spoke for the first time in the court when the judge asked him about his opinion regarding the testimony of Shawky, to which he responded that it “is completely untrue,” while Mubarak said he had no comment on the testimony of Shawky.

The trial was adjourned following the testimony of Shawky by Judge Ahmed Rafeat because of the conduct of defence lawyers who demanded to call Shawky’s direct superior to testify.

The nineth witness: Plan “100” to stop protesters from going to Tahrir Square

The nineth witness, police General Hussein Abdel Hamid, former assistant minister for the security forces and training sector, said in court that he attended the meeting of 27 January, adding that former police General Ahmed Ramzy, the head of the Central Security Forces, and former police General Omar El-Farmawy, head of 6 October security directorate, who are both accused in the case, were also present that day. 

According to Abdel Hamid, El-Adly gave orders to Ramzy and other police generals to adopt "Plan 100” to stop the protesters advancing to Tahrir Square, using all means possible, including live ammunition and automatic weapons if necessary, and to secure Gamal Mubarak’s freedom of movement in Cairo.

According to "Plan 100,” all CSF units along other units in the police force — among them snipers who work under the supervision of State Security — would try to stop protesters from gathering in Tahrir Square.

The former police general said that Gamal Mubarak and Fathi Sorour, the former speaker of the People’s Assembly, were informed of "Plan 100”.

Abdel Hamid said that that he opposed the use of "Plan 100” and warned on the use of excessive force against protesters. Abdel Hamid presented to the court CDs with footage showing police forces shooting protesters and security vehicles running through protesters. He also clarified how gunshot cartridges with which security forces were armed killed people at short range.

El-Adly also denied completely what Abdel Hamid said, while his lawyer accused Abdel Hamid of fabricating his testimony to avenge the former minister for his son being fired from the Police Academy for allegedly taking drugs. Former police General Omar El-Farmawy denied attending the meeting of 27 January.

Judge Ahmed Rafaet adjourned the case until Sunday when Field Marshal Mohamed Hussein Tantawi, head of the ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces, will take the stand in a closed session to recount what he knew about the shooting of protesters during the January revolution.

Short link: