Fire at Imbaba market (Photo: Al-Ahram)
Giza fire department has succeeded in extinguishing a major blaze that erupted Friday morning in the popular Imbaba fruit and clothes market, destroying 27 stalls and some apartments in three buildings, Al-Ahram reported.
Ten people were injured due to smoke inhalation, with many residents of the area exiting their houses because of the intense smoke.
A police checkpoint was also destroyed in the fire, Al-Ahram reported.
Ambulances and firefighters remained outside the market due to difficulties entering, meaning the process of extinguishing the fire with hoses took more than three hours.
Initial reports suggests losses of around EGP 10 million.
Initial reports also refer that the fire was caused by a short circuit in one of the shops.
The fire extended rapidly because of the amount of wood in the market’s structure, and because of its disorganised nature, Al-Ahram reported.
Prosecutors are investigating the fire’s courses.