An ambulance drives past the Suez Canal University hospital, where victims of the Al Rawdah mosque attack are being treated in Ismailia, Egypt November 25, 2017 Reuters
Egypt's Minister of Health Ahmed Emad El-Din announced on Saturday that 88 of the 128 people injured in Friday’s North Sinai terrorist attack are in stable condition, state-run news agency MENA quoted ministry spokesperson Khaled Megahed as saying Saturday.
At least 305 worshippers were killed and 128 were injured during Friday prayers at a North Sinai mosque in an attack by gunmen belonging to the terrorist group Daesh, making it the deadliest terrorist attack in Egypt’s recent memory.
Cairo’s Dar Al-Shefaa Hospital has received 12 of the injured, three of whom have been discharged and nine have undergone surgery and are in stable condition, Megahed said.
Mahad Nasser Hospital in Cairo received 17 patients, 12 of whom have undergone surgery. Four of the patients are in critical condition.
Twenty-three of the injured were transferred to Ismailia Hospital, where seven have undergone surgery and are in stable condition.
Thirty-six patients are being treated at Suez Canal Hospital in Ismailia, which the health ministry has provided with the necessary supplies to treat the injured.
Earlier on Saturday, the prosecutor-general said that according to eyewitnesses of the Friday attack, 25 to 30 gunmen in camouflage trousers and bearing the Daesh black flag rode up to Al-Rawdah Mosque in five SUVs and started shooting at worshippers.
The gunmen, some of whom wore masks, attacked the mosque as the imam started the Friday sermon.
Twenty-seven of the murdered victims were children.
No group has claimed the responsibility of the attack so far.
Most of the terrorist attacks to take place in North Sinai in recent years, which have mainly targeted security forces, have been claimed by the Daesh-affiliated North Sinai-based group Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis.