Last Update 22:46
Sunday, 19 September 2021

Qatar officially labels Daesh-Sinai group in Egypt a terrorist body

Ahram Online , Thursday 22 Mar 2018
OP Sinai 2018
Egyptian army conducts Operation Sinai 2018 against terrorist groups in north Sinai (Snapshot from video released by the Egyptian Army)
Share/Bookmark
Share/Bookmark

Qatar has designated the Daesh-Sinai group a terrorist organisation.

The Qartari National Committee to Combat Terrorism also designated seven other groups active in Yemen and Qatar as terrorist organisations.

The list is the first published by the committee following a decree issued by the country's  Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al-Thani in July 2017.

The list includes 19 people: 11 Qataris, two Saudis, four Egyptians and two Jordanians.

The Egyptian individuals on the list are Ahmed Samir El-Habib El-Teneger, Dahi Mohamed Mostafa Senger, Ahmed Eid Salem El-Hegawi and Hassan Saad Shetewi.

The Daesh affiliate in North Sinai, formerly known as Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis, has claimed responsibility for dozens of deadly terrorist attacks against security forces and civilians in the governorate, killing hundreds.

The Egyptian military has said it has killed hundreds of the group’s members in military operations in recent years. 

Earlier, the military launched a major operation earlier this year to target "terrorist and criminal elements and organisations" in northern and central Sinai, as well as parts of the Nile Delta and the Western Desert. 

Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and the UAE severed diplomatic and transport links with Doha on 5 June 2017, accusing Doha of supporting terrorism and meddling in their internal affairs, sparking the region's worst diplomatic dispute in years. Doha has denied the accusations levelled against it.

In recent months, several diplomatic efforts have taken place to resolve the lingering diplomatic row and support mediation efforts mainly by Kuwait and the US.

The four states have repeatedly said they are ready for dialogue to ease the dispute if Doha shows a willingness to deal with their demands and stop its "hostile" policies in the region.

Egypt accuses the Gulf Arab state of supporting "terrorist" organisations, including the Muslim Brotherhood, which is designated in Egypt a terrorist organisation.

Earlier this month, Egypt's Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry reiterated to Timothy Lenderking, the US deputy assistant secretary of state for Gulf affairs, and General Anthony Zinni, a retired former head of U.S. Central Command that Qatar should abide by the 13 demands listed by the four countries, including shutting down the Al-Jazeera television channel and downgrading relations with Iran.

Shoukry said Qatar has yet to "prove goodwill" despite regional and international efforts to end the dispute.

He expressed the concerns of Egypt and other boycotting states over Qatar's "continued negative role in sponsoring terrorism and extremism" by providing financial aid and refuge to militants.

The diplomatic rift is the worst dispute in decades between Arab states.

 

 

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.