This picture shows the Steigenberger hotel in Egypt's Red Sea resort of Hurghada on August 24, 2018 (Photo: AFP)
The office of Egypt's prosecutor-general issued a statement on Saturday saying that investigations revealed that no harmful gases were released by the air conditioner at a hotel room where a British couple died in the Red Sea governorate earlier this week.
A committee of three professors from South Valley University's Faculty of Engineering inspected the hotel room's air conditioner and concluded that the device was intact and there was no leak or poisonous emission in the room.
On Tuesday, John Cooper, 69, died in his hotel room at the five-star Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel in Hurghada. Shortly after, his wife Susan Cooper, 64, was taken to the local Aseel Hospital after she suffered a loss of consciousness, but efforts to resuscitate her failed.
On Friday, the Ministry of Tourism stated a preliminary medical examination report shows that the British couple died of natural causes and that there was no evidence of criminal foul play.
The prosecutor-general's office said that it is awaiting an autopsy report from the forensic authority to determine the cause of death.
Earlier on Friday, the British Thomas Cook holiday company, which organised the couple's trip, issued a statement saying that "we are aware of the speculation in some of today’s media that their deaths may have been caused by carbon monoxide poisoning. Currently we have no evidence to support this."