A file photo of a resort in the city of Hurghada, Red Sea governorate (Photo: Ahram Online)
The State Information Service (SIS) refuted on Sunday British media reports claiming that a tourist in Hurghada had his organs stolen last month in Egypt, saying samples of his bodies were only analyzed.
According to its statement, the SIS communicated with the concerned authorities and obtained all medical documents of 62-years-old British man David Humphries to leave no doubt over the post-death procedures.
"The documents have proved that samples were taken from the body of the aforementioned tourist in a medical manner and were officially handed over to the governmental analysis laboratories in Assiut and Cairo to investigate the cause of death," the statement reads, playing down reports of British tabloids Daily Mail and The Sun which cited organ thieves.
According to media reports, Humphries' heart and kidneys were removed.
Medical reports show that Humphries arrived at the Red Sea Hospital on 18 September while "in a deep coma, with no pulse, breathing, or blood pressure and cold body," the SIS said.
His wife Lynda Humphries, who accompanied him in his trip to Hurghada said he was transferred to the Red Sea Hospital on 13 September after feeling sick, the SIS highlights. He left the hospital after receiving treatment.
Lynda said the day of his death, her husband "felt pain in his chest again and fell to the ground and was taken by the ambulance to the hospital where his death was confirmed."
She did not hold anyone responsible for her husband's death, the SIS stressed.