File Photo: The Egyptian Foreign Ministry in Cairo (Photo: Reuters)
Egypt is following with extreme concern the news reports concerning the attack on two oil tankers on Thursday in the Gulf of Oman that left one ablaze and both adrif Egyptian foreign ministry said in a statement Thursday.
He also added Egypt condemned any kind of action that would affect the freedom of navigation and would target the security and safety of the Gulf region.
The attacks were the second in a month near the Strait of Hormuz, a major strategic waterway for world oil supplies.
The United States and Saudi Arabia blamed Iran for last month’s attacks using limpet mines on four tankers off the coast of the United Arab Emirates, a charge Tehran denies.
Arab League Secretary-General Ahmed Aboul Gheit called on the UN Security Council to act against those responsible to maintain security in the Gulf region.
“Some parties in the region are trying to instigate fires in the region and we must be aware of that,” he told the 15-member council, without specifically naming anyone.In a statement to the media , foreign ministry spokesperson Ahmed Hafez stated that Egypt was following the situation and what the investigations would reveal concerning the responsibility of that attack.