Egypt's minister of Health Hala Zayed during a visit to the medical facility where suspected cases of the coronavirus are being quarantined in the northwestern govenorate of Marsa Matrouh, Egypt, February 17, 20220 (Al-Ahram)
The Egyptian cabinet’s media centre has denied in a statement on Friday “rumours” of new coronavirus cases in Egypt.
The cabinet stressed its “full transparency” in dealing with coronavirus cases and said that Egyptian authorities will report any cases of infection or suspected cases immediately to the World Health Organization.
On Thursday, the health ministry and the World Health Organization (WHO) issued a joint statement confirming that Egypt is free of the new coronavirus and that the only patient who had been infected in Egypt was now cured.
"Egypt is coronavirus-free and there are no cases so far," the statement read.
The statement added that the recovered patient was a foreigner, and left the quarantine hospital and was received by a delegation from his country's embassy.
The case was made public on 14 February.
He tested negative several times during his 14-day quarantine, the statement added.
Health Minister Hala Zayed had said in televised comments that the foreigner was a Chinese national.
He underwent six tests over three consecutive days which were overseen by the ministry and WHO, and "the test result was negative every time," a statement on Wednesday quoted health ministry spokesman Khaled Megahed as saying.
Also on Wednesday, the Egyptian cabinet confirmed that no suspected cases of coronavirus have been found at schools. It added that a series of precautionary preventive measures have been taken to prevent the spread of the epidemic, which has infected more than 75,000 people globally so far.
The health minister stated that more than 17,450 follow-ups have been done on citizens held in quarantine, as well as on the supervising medical team.