Governor of Egypt's Red Sea governorate Amr Hanafy announced on Wednesday night that 299 Egyptians who had been stranded abroad by the coronavirus crisis have arrived at Marsa Alam International Airport from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
According to a statement, Hanafy said that the returnees were directly taken following their arrival to a hotel in the Red Sea city where they will spend their 14-day quarantine period.
"All the returnees underwent medical examination by quarantine doctors in the governorate," said the governor, adding that "for their safety, all their personal belongings were also sterilised."
Immediate tests were performed and the samples were sent to laboratories to ensure that they were free of coronavirus infections, he noted.
Hanafy also pointed out that the "state’s efforts are continuing to repatriate Egyptians stranded abroad."
Egypt began in March bringing back hundreds of its nationals stranded in various countries owing to the pandemic.
The cabinet consequently decided to quarantine all Egyptians returning to the country from abroad, and is requiring returnees to sign a written acknowledgement that they agree to the quarantine before boarding their flights.
El-Sisi stated on Wednesday that Egypt is committed to repatriating the Egyptians stranded abroad at the earliest opportunity.
"I assure all Egyptians [stranded abroad] who are listening to me, even if our circumstances are difficult, we will not leave you. As a state, we are obligated to bring home all stranded Egyptians, who are estimated at 3,500 citizens or slightly more, as soon as possible," El-Sisi said.