People wearing protective masks wait at a bus station in Kuwait City on March 2, 2020, amid a global outbreak of the novel Coronavirus. (AFP)
Egypt’s manpower ministry said on Wednesday it was following up on the murder of an Egyptian worker who had been stabbed to death a few days ago in Kuwait.
The body of the victim, a guard of an under-construction building, was found in the city of Dasma. He was stabbed several times, the ministry said.
Kuwaiti daily newspaper Al Rai had reported earlier that the victim's body was found on Friday, the first day of the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan, and was sent for forensic examination.
A contractor in charge of the building has been arrested as Kuwaiti investigators are probing the incident, the ministry said.
The manpower ministry added that it was taking necessary procedures to repatriate the victim's body.
This is the latest in a series of attacks on Egyptian expatriates in the Gulf country over the past few years.
Last year, a Kuwaiti criminal court sentenced a Kuwaiti national to 17 years in prison for assaulting an Egyptian national in 2017.
More than 230,000 Egyptians work in Kuwait, according to data published by Egypt’s official statistics agency in August 2019.