Men wearing face masks walk along a street before curfew, during the global outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in Shubra El Kheima, Al Qalyubia Governorate, north of Cairo, Egypt, April 27, 2020. (Reuters)
Egyptian health authorities recorded on Thursday the first coronavirus case in the border North Sinai governorate, a local health department said.
The patient is being isolated at a central hospital in the town of Bir El-Abd to receive treatment, the provincial health directorate said in a statement.
Health teams have sanitised the patient’s house and examined those who were in contact with him, it added.
North Sinai had been Egypt’s only governorate with no confirmed coronavirus cases since the detection of the first infection in the country in mid-February.
Meanwhile in Upper Egypt, the health directorate in Sohag announced it had put around 50 families in the Saflaq village in home-isolation for 14 days after one person tested positive for the virus.
The patient is a 68-year-old man who is believed to have contracted the virus during a visit to a Nile Delta governorate a few days ago, it said.
He has been transferred to a quarantine hospital in the city of Esna, Aswan.
Egypt has 5,268 confirmed coronavirus cases, including 380 deaths. Of those, 1,335 have recovered.