Egyptian armed forces (Photo: Egypt's ministry of Defense handout)
World powers expressed their condemnation to Thursday's terrorist attack in which ten Egyptian military personnel had been “killed or wounded” when an improvised explosive device was detonated in North Sinai.
The United States said it "strongly condemns" the deadly North Sinai terrorist attack that targeted Egyptian military personnel on Thursday, describing the attack as “despicable” as it came during the holy fasting month of Ramadan.
According to a statement by the US Embassy, US Ambassador to Egypt Jonathan Cohen expressed condolences to the families of the victims and wished a speedy recovery to the wounded.
“The United States continues to stand with the Egyptian government and people in the fight against terrorism,” Cohen said.
Several other countries have condemned the attack, including Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Palestine and Jordan.
The condemnations come one day after the Egyptian Armed Forces said ten of its military personnel were “killed or wounded” when an improvised explosive device was detonated in North Sinai.
An officer, a non-commissioned officer, and eight soldiers were killed or injured when an IED detonated under their armoured vehicle in southern Bir El-Abd city in North Sinai governorate, according to a military statement on Thursday.
This is the first such attack since February when the Armed Forces thwarted a terrorist attack on a security checkpoint in North Sinai governorate, killing 10 terrorists participating in the attack.
The Islamic State claimed responsibility for the North Sinai attack on Friday, the group’s Amaq news agency said without providing evidence.
The claim of responsibility came hours after the Egyptian Armed Forces said it had killed two dangerous “takfiri elements” during a raid.