Men wearing protective face masks are pictured in downtown Cairo, amidst concerns about the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), Egypt, May 2, 2020. (Reuters)
Two areas in Al Gharbiya have been placed under quarantine for two weeks after the detection a number of coronavirus cases, the governorate said in a statement on Tuesday.
The provincal heqalth directorate would put Al-Menshawy town in Baqloola village as well as a block of buildings in the Kafr El-Sheikh village in Gharbiya into quarantine for a 14-day peirod over the new cases.
The govenorate has not identified the exact number of confirmed cases in the two areas.
Al Gharbiya governor Tarek Rahmy said the provincal health directorate has taken a number of preventive measures over the new cases, including medical checkups for those who came in contact with positive cases and the disinfection of houses and streets.
Last month, the the governorate's Kafr Gaafar village in Basyoun city under quarantine after 12 coronavirus cases were detected among its residents.
The measures placed 800 families comprising a total population of 13,000 villagers under quarantine.
As a precautionary measure, Egypt recently sealed off several villages and families in different spots across the country where many coronavirus cases had been detected.
The step came among a set of strict measures imposed by the state to contain the spread of the deadly virus, including a night-time curfew, banning public gathering, suspending schools and universities and shuttering mosques and churches.
Egypt reported on Monday 348 new coronavirus cases, bringing the total number of infections to 6,813 with 436 deaths