File Photo: Egypt's Forensics Medical Authority (Photo Courtesy of Forensics' official page)
Egyptian prosecutors have said that an autopsy report on young Egyptian filmmaker Shady Habash has confirmed that he died in prison due to alcohol poisoning, a statement by the prosecution said late on Sunday.
The poisoning caused the 24-year-old to suffer a host of symptoms, including acute respiratory failure.
Habash died last week in Cairo’s Tora prison complex after spending over two years in remand detention over a number of charges, including “spreading false news” and “joining a banned organisation.” He was arrested in March 2018.
Traces of ethyl alcohol were found in Habash’s body, according to Sunday's report, which said that his body did not bear signs of abuse.
The statement added that the prosecution has questioned two inmates, one of whom said that he had seen Habash the day prior to his death "mixing alcohol in a soft drink can."
The inmate said that he himself also drank the alcohol, which made him feel sick and he was transferred to a prison hospital to receive treatment.
The second inmate testified that he was told by Habash and the first inmate about the drink.
The prosecution had said in previous statements that Habash informed a prison physician he had drunk a quantity of alcohol after mistaking a bottle of sanitiser for water and that he was suffering from stomach cramps.
Although he was examined multiple times by prison doctors when he complained of stomach cramps, Habash died before he could be taken to hospital.
The young filmmaker’s death has stirred a wave of condemnation by human rights groups, and his family has demanded an explanation for his death.