High Court of Justice (Reuters)
Egypt will fully resume work at all its courts starting Saturday, the justice ministry said, after the government announced easing coronavirus restrictions and allowing more businesses to reopen.
Work will be back to normal at all courts, the justice ministry’s general bureau and all departments affiliated to the ministry including forensic medicine and the official registration office, the ministry said in a statement late on Tuesday.
Proceedings at all courts had been suspended since 15 March in an attempt to protect public health by limiting large crowds at courts nationwide, before they have been partially resumed in May.
Tuesday's decision is in with the government’s approach to coexist with the coronavirus while taking all the necessary precautions, the statement added.
Each head of court would arrange a rotation system among employees at maximum of 20 percent of usual workforce, without affecting workflow, the ministry said.
This comes after the cabinet announced earlier on Tuesday a series of measures designed to gradually reopen the country, including allowing restaurants, cafes and places of worship to reopen and lifting a nighttime curfew.
On Tuesday, Egypt reported 1,332 new coronavirus cases and 87 deaths, bringing the total tally of infections to 58,141 and fatalities to 2,365 since the first infection was announced in the country in mid-February.