Seven coronavirus patients died on Monday in a fire that broke out at Badrawy private hospital in eastern Alexandria.
According to a security source who spoke to Ahram Online, the victims, who were in a COVID-19 quarantine ward, died from smoke inhalation. The victims were six men and one woman.
The source added that according to early investigations, the fire broke out due to a short circuit in an air conditioning unit in the COVID-19 ward.
The fire was extinguished by five fire engines before it could spread to other parts of the hospitals. The hospital’s patients have been transferred to other medical facilities.
The prosecution is continuing its investigation into the accident.
Egypt has registered 65,188 cases of coronavirus, including 2,789 fatalities.