General Prosecution office (Photo: Al-Ahram)
Following accusations made online, starting on Wednesday, by girls and women claiming to have been sexually harassed, assaulted, raped or blackmailed by a man, Ahmed Bassam Zaki, Egypt’s prosecution reported late on Friday it has received one official complaint.
The prosecution released a statement saying it has received "one complaint made online on 3 July from a girl who said the young man threatened her in November 2016 to have sex with her. The complaint is currently being processed according to legal procedures.”
On Wednesday, posts began to surface on Twitter and Instagram from women who said they had been allegedly sexually assaulted by Zaki.
Soon after, an Instagram account was created by the name “@assaultpolice”, calling on women to send their experiences. Within the next 24 hours the account received more than 150 messages, including some that contained screenshots of messages and recordings of calls with Zaki.
Since then there have been calls for his arrest as well as calls to support the victims.
Chairwoman of the National Council For Women Maya Morsi announced on Friday on MBC Masr satellite channel that the council contacted some of the victims to collect information.
Morsi added that the council will file an official complaint to the prosecution to investigate the case. She renewed the council's call for the victims to come forward to report this or similar cases without fear.
The hashtag carrying the name of the young man as a sexual harasser continues to top-trend in Egypt in Arabic for the third day in a row.