Egypt prosecution has ordered the release of five defendants charged with verbally assaulting well-known Egyptian TV presenter Reham Said at a beach in the Mediterranean governorate of Marsa Matrouh pending investigation.
The prosecution ordered the release of the five men pending investigations on a bail of EGP 1,000 each.
Their release comes one day after they were arrested on charges of indecently assaulting the TV presenter and violating her private life earlier this week.
A video was posted on Facebook on Saturday showing a sobbing Said at the beach as she called upon the authorities to react against six young men who reportedly verbally assaulted her after she had refused to take photos with them.
Said said the men directed insults at her over her brief pre-trial detention in 2018, when she was jailed for inciting child abduction and human trafficking -- charges she was later acquitted of.
An altercation had taken place before beach-goers intervened. Said took photos of the men and filed a report with the authorities accusing the young men of harassing her by attempting to take photos of her and her family in swimsuits.