Egypt's prosecutor-general Hamada al-Sawy (Photo: Al-Ahram)
Egypt’s prosecutor-general referred on Wednesday a squash coach at a sports club to criminal court for sexually assaulting three minors using force and threats, read a statement by the prosecution.
The prosecution received a letter from the National Council for Women (NCW) of complaints filed by three girls against their squash coach for sexually assaulting them, and physically assaulting and gagging one of them as she attempted to resist the assault, the statement added.
The prosecution didn't provide details on the defendent, his workplace, and the time of the reported assaults.
The defendant threatened a victim of defamation if she was to expose the incident to her parents, the statement said, adding that the victims had first been "ashamed" to file their complaints before they decided to speak out.
The defendant confessed to sexually assaulting one of the three girls repeatedly but he refuted the charges of assaulting the two others, the prosecution said.
Police investigations, however, confirmed he used force to assault the three girls.
The referral to criminal court is one of the latest measures by the prosecutor-general in sexual assault cases, which continue to be brought to light amid a revived wave of #MeToo movement that encourages victims to come forward with their sexual assault and harassment stories.
Earlier this month, Egypt’s prosecutor-general referred Ahmed Bassam Zaki to criminal court on charges of sexual assault of minors, blackmail and sexual harassment.
Zaki was accused in viral online posts of multiple sexual assaults and was subsequently arrested.
He is facing charges of attempting to have sex with two women, including a minor, without their consent. He is also accused of using blackmail to coerce women into granting him sexual favours.
The attention Zaki's case has received helped bring to light a 2014 rape case at a luxorious Cairo hotel, which saw an anonymous Instagram account publishing posts accusing a group of young men hailing from rich families of being involved in a gang rape following a party at the hotel.
Egypt’s prosecutor ordered a probe into the 2014 rape case, dubbed the Fairmont Incident, that has stirred public outrage nationwide. Some suspects were arrested in Egypt and Lebanon while the rest remain at large.