Egypt’s health ministry said in a statement that it reported 148 new coronavirus cases on Saturday, bringing the total infection tally to 100,856 since the outbreak mid-February.
The statement said that the ministry also reported 20 new deaths on the same day, bringing the total fatalities from the virus to 5,627.
The ministry said that 788 patients were discharged from hospitals over the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of recoveries to 83,261.
Though Egypt’s number of the daily coronavirus cases was close to the 150-patient mark in the previous two days, the daily cases are anticipated to rebound in the coming period as the global forecasts and reports warn about a second wave in the fall or winter.
Earlier on Saturday, President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi has directed the government’s various agencies to coordinate and use the lessons learned from Egypt’s experience in combating the repercussions of coronavirus so as to take the necessary precautionary measures during the coming period to deal with any possible second wave.
El-Sisi’s remarks came during a meeting with the presidency’s Health Adviser Mohamed Awad Tag El-Din to follow up on the state's efforts to deal with the pandemic, as well as its preparations to confront any possible resurgence, a presidential statement said on Saturday.
In late July, the government said that it may resort to adopting the strict preventative measures that it had imposed earlier to fight the coronavirus, including shutting down activities, if the infection rate rises again.
Tag El-Din reviewed during his meeting with El-Sisi the state’s successful and ongoing efforts to address the epidemic that included developing hospitals, launching mobile clinics, applying detection, isolation and coexistence procedures, providing the necessary laboratory analyses, and constantly updating medical treatment protocols, as well as the national research efforts to develop the necessary vaccines to combat the coronavirus.
In this context, Health Ministry cited Minister Hala Zayed said in remarks to the media on Friday that some 6,000 people in Egypt will participate in phase 3 clinical trials of two Chinese coronavirus vaccines as part of an international effort to determine the effectiveness of the vaccine.