Egypt’s Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly said on Thursday the government has extended the deadline to receive reconciliation requests for building violations until 30 October due to the large number of reconciliation applications.
The deadline was set at the end of September.
In a televised speech, Madbouly said 1.4 million people have started their reconciliation procedures, adding that the government may extend the deadline again at the end of October if reconciliation requests increase.
In January, President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi ratified a law allowing owners of illegally constructed buildings to settle with the state, with the exception of violations pertaining to safety standards, authorised height or purpose, and historic buildings, among others.
The reconciliation fees are set to be allocated for development in governorates and to upgrade the level of services provided to citizens.
Madbouly said on Thursday authorities receiving reconciliation requests continue to be crowded although their working hours have been extended.
The prime minister urged the public to finish their reconciliation procedures as early as possible to help the government process their legal procedures, including giving the violators state certificates that protect them against legal action on their units.
The state does not intend to demolish inhabited buildings, Madbouly said, adding that the law on reconciliation for building violations aims to help citizens legalise their units and protect them from being exploited by any parties, including government employees.
Madbouly said a May decision to halt the issuance of building permits for six months in Greater Cairo and Alexandria as well as capitals of governorates and major cities across is being reviewed to determine whether construction could be allowed earlier than the 24 November end of suspension mark.
He added that each property, whether it is a commercial or a housing unit, will be assigned a specific national number in order to regulate and officialise the sale and purchase of these properties.
Concerning building on agricultural lands, Madbouly said the state will encourage vertical construction to save agricultural lands from being wasted and to help citizens benefit from the land plots they own.
Rectifying the status of illegal buildings
Today's announcements come two days after Madbouly said authorities have so far received around 2.275 million reconciliation requests for building violations nationwide.
Madbouly praised the high turnout by citizens looking to reconcile, adding that he has continued to supervise developments on the ground concerning solving the long-standing issue of illegal buildings and to ensure all reconciliation procedures are facilitated for citizens.
He affirmed that the state is keen on ending this issue that has lasted for dozens of years and legalising millions of illegal structures.
Concerning building violations on muddy lands on both sides of the Nile River and its northern branches of Damietta and Rosetta, Minister of Water Resources Mohamed Abdel-Aaty had said warnings have been issued to many governorates as the Nile flood this year can inundate some of these lands.
Madbouly said this precautionary measure has been taken to ensure that citizens inhabiting illegal structures near the Nile are able to take all precautions and be aware of the expected danger.
“The government issues early warnings to reduce losses that may happen, even though these citizens are violators and have encroached on the Nile vicinity, but our goal is to protect their lives and properties,” the prime minister said.