Interpol has handed over three Egyptians who are wanted in Egypt in connection with a 2014 rape case that has come to light in recent months, stirring public outrage.
The three men were delivered to Egyptian authorities at Cairo International Airport on Wednesday and will be questioned by the prosecution.
Lebanese police arrested the three suspects weeks ago after Interpol had put out a request for the apprehension of seven fugitives who fled Egypt after the rape, dubbed the “Fairmont Nile City Hotel rape case,” was brought to light.
According to the National News Agency (NNA) in Lebanon, the three men were arrested in August in Mount Lebanon’s town of Fatqa.
Two other suspects have fled the country, according to Lebanese authorities.
The arrest was made days after Egypt said it had taken measures to pursue the seven fugitives via Interpol after the men fled the country via the capital’s airport in July.
One of the defendants in the case, which so far involves a total of nine suspects, was arrested earlier as he attempted to flee Egypt and is being detained pending investigation.
The whereabouts of the remaining suspects are currently unknown.
The suspects in the case, which has gained widespread attention on social media over the past two months, reportedly hail from affluent and powerful families in Egypt.
The alleged rape has been under investigation by Egyptian authorities since 4 August, when a complaint about the incident was filed with the country's prosecutor-general.
The complaint was first sent to the National Council of Women (NCW) by a woman alleging she was raped by several men at the luxurious Fairmont Hotel in Cairo in 2014.
The victim and a number of witnesses have been questioned by the prosecution, the prosecution said on 24 August.
The case went viral in July on different social media platforms after an anonymous Instagram account published posts accusing a group of young men of being involved in a gang rape following a party at the hotel.