Egypt's Prosecutor-General Hamada El-Sawy (Photo: Al-Ahram)
Egypt’s top prosecutor ordered on Sunday the release of 68 children accused of taking part in riots over the past few days, the prosecution said in a statement.
The children were released after their guardians pledged to not allow them to commit such violations in the future, the statement said.
On Friday, local media reported that security forces had arrested a number of citizens who tried to block a major road in Cairo. Also, four people were arrested for possessing Molotov cocktails in Upper Egypt’s Luxor, according to reports.
Last week, a video was circulated on social media allegedly showing fresh anti-regime protests. However, AFP’s fact-checking service revealed that the video dates back to 2013.
Also, on Saturday, local media reported that some TV channels that are based outside of Egypt – and are known for backing the Muslim Brotherhood group – had published a fake video of protests.
A number of TV shows have broadcast the video, which showed a group of young men seemingly receiving instructions to chant against the political leadership.
Khaled Saleh, the editor-in-chief of Youm7 newspaper, has alleged that the video was made by the United Company for Media Services, led by businessman Tamer Morsi, to serve as propaganda against the state.
Egypt designated the Muslim Brotherhood group as a terrorist organisation following the ousting of former president Mohamed Morsi in 2013 and after sit-ins and political turmoil that followed his departure.