The government is warning citizens to adhere to the preventive measures (photo: Reuters)
Egypt reported 201 new coronavirus cases on Thursday bringing the total infection tally up to 108,530 since the outbreak began in February.
The health ministry also reported 11 new deaths, bringing the total number of deaths from the virus to 6,329.
A statement said that 132 patients have been discharged after recovering from the virus, bringing the total number of recoveries to 100,006.
Egypt's coronavirus infections have been wavering just above 100 daily cases over the past few months and even hit a record low of 98 infections on 5 October for the first time since 2 May. The numbers have however been on the rise again in recent weeks and the count went over the bar of 200 for the first time since 31 August as the health ministry reported 2007 coronavirus cases on Wednesday 4 November.
The rise in cases came at a time when Egyptian and WHO officials warned that the country may witness an increase in the daily cases of coronavirus once again.
The Egyptian government has warned last week that it was going to reinstate the partial lockdown measures it took in mid-March if the number of patients increases.
Last week, Egypt’s Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly said that the country will exercise “zero tolerance” against people who fail to adhere to preventive measures against the coronavirus pandemic.
According to a cabinet statement, Madbouly ordered relevant authorities to fine violators of preventive measures, mainly those not wearing face masks, among other measures.