Port Said trial to begin Tuesday

Ahram Online, Monday 16 Apr 2012

Suspects in Port Said football disaster trial to appear in court Tuesday amid heavy security

The Ministry of Interior has taken extensive measures to secure the trial of suspects accused of involvement in the Port Said football disaster which left 74 dead on 1 February.

The first session of the trial will begin on Tuesday at the Police Academy in Cairo.

According to General Mohsen Murad, assistant to the ministry's Cairo security sector, a comprehensive plan to secure the court has been established in cooperation with the armed forces. He added that strict security procedures will be begin at 5am when a security cordon will be formed around all entrances to the academy.

Last week, the court decided to hold the trial in Cairo instead of Port Said.

On 1 February, football fans stormed the pitch at the Port Said Stadium following a heated match between rivals Ahly and Masry. About 75 suspects were detained in the wake of the tragedy, most of whom were natives of Port Said.

Short link: