File photo: People wearing protective face masks stand inside Cairo's underground metro, (Photo: Reuters)
Egypt's health ministry reported 611 new coronavirus cases on Sunday, bringing the total infection tally to 173,813 since the outbreak began domestically mid-February 2020.
The ministry reported 59 new deaths over the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of deaths from the virus to 9,994.
In its statement, the ministry added that 322 patients were discharged on Saturday after recovering from the virus, bringing the total number of recoveries to 134,960.
Egypt has started its vaccination campaign last month, inoculating hundreds of medical workers at quarantine hospitals, after it received batches of vaccines developed by each of Chinese Sinopharm and British-Swedish AstraZeneca.
The Cabinet this week said Egypt would receive between 5 to 8 million coronavirus vaccine doses through the Vaccine Alliance (Gavi) during the second half of February.
Cabinet Spokesman Nader Saad said Egypt has contracted with Gavi to receive 40 million doses that are sufficient for 20 million people. He affirmed that the batches of the vaccine will arrive in succession.
Priority groups to receive the vaccine will include doctors, followed by older people and people with critical cases.