Egypt's health ministry detected 645 new coronavirus cases on Wednesday, bringing its total infection toll nationwide to 192,840 since the outbreak last year.
In its daily statement, the ministry also reported 47 deaths, raising the death toll from the virus to 11,431 fatalities.
As many as 335 patients have been discharged from hospitals over the past 24 hours to mark total recoveries at 148,424, the statement added.
Egypt has started its coronavirus vaccination campaign in January using the Chinese Sinopharm vaccine and the British-Swedish Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine. Thousands of health workers, elderly and people with chronic diseases nationwide have been vaccinated.
Up to 20,000 Egyptians register on a daily basis on the government's website to be vaccinated against the virus, Egypt’s Minister of Health Hala Zayed stated on Wednesday.
During the weekly cabinet meeting, Zayed said that by the end of March 500,000 Egyptians are expected to have registered for vaccination.
Zayed said in the meeting that Egypt is scheduled to receive five million doses of the Oxford AstraZenca vaccine, making up the first batch, by the end of the March via COVAX alliance.
The second batch of the AstraZenca vaccine, three million doses, shall be received in May, she added.
Zayed stated that Egypt has received 350,000 doses of China’s Sinopharm vaccine.
Egypt is still suffering from the second wave of the virus, despite passing the peak.
On Sunday Anba Cheroubim, the Bishop of Upper Egypt’s Qena, announced that churches in the governorate have been shut down temporarily, with a ban imposed on masses after a surge in coronavirus infections.
Churches will be closed and masses will be brought to a halt starting Monday till 2 April, the statement said.