"Egypt categorically condemned the latest terrorist attack on Saudi Arabia’s southern Jizan region by Yemen’s Houthi militias," said a statement by the country’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Thursday.
The Saudi-led military coalition in Yemen said earlier today it intercepted five ballistic missiles and four drones deployed by the Iran-backed Houthi rebels on Wednesday night and Thursday morning.
The attack caused a small fire on a university campus in the kingdom’s south, according to the coalition.
Egypt reiterated its rejection of such terrorist acts, saying “they constitute a stark violation of the rules of international and humanitarian law and a direct threat to regional security and stability,” according to the statement.
The ministry noted that the attack was conducted despite Saudi Arabia’s “intensive and sincere” efforts to reach a comprehensive political solution to the crisis in Yemen.
The foreign ministry stressed Egypt’s solidarity with Saudi Arabia and its support for any measures taken by the Kingdom to safeguard its security, stability, and the safety of its citizens.
Last month, Saudi Arabia’s launched an initiative meant to hold a ceasefire overseen by the UN across the war-torn country, reopening Sanaa International Airport to a number of direct regional and international destinations, and starting UN-sponsored consultations between the Yemeni parties to reach a political resolution.
The six-year-old conflict in Yemen started after the 2014 takeover of the capital Sanaa by the Houthis, which led the Saudi-led coalition to intervene in 2015 to try to restore the internationally recognised Yemeni government.
The Kingdom has intercepted hundreds of drone and missile strikes by the Houthis.
Egypt has repeatedly expressed its full support for the Saudi Arabian-led coalition against the Houthi rebels in Yemen, saying the Iran-backed movement’s practices further inflame the situation in Yemen.