File Photo: French President Emmanuel Macron at the Elysee Palace, in Paris, on May 12, 2021. AFP
France's president said on Monday he would work with Egypt's president and Jordan's king on a concrete proposal for a ceasefire and a possible path to discussions between Israel and the Palestinians.
"For me there needs to be a process for a ceasefire as quickly as possible and construction of a possible path to discussions between the different protagonists," Macron said at a news conference in Paris.
"In the coming days we have decided to have a discussion with President (Abdel-Fattah) El-Sisi and the King of Jordan to be able together to see how we make a concrete proposal," he said without elaborating.
Macron also said he would bring up the bombing by Israeli warplanes of a building that housed media outlets in Gaza when he speaks to Israel's prime minister in the next day or two.
Macron's remarks came on the sidelines of an international conference Paris hosted to support Sudan during its transitional period.
The Egyptian president attended the conference and also held bilateral talks with Macron at the Elysee.
El-Sisi stressed to Macron Cairo’s firm position on the urgent necessity of the cessation of violence in Palestine.
According to a statement by the Egyptian presidency, El-Sisi affirmed the necessity of reaching a fair and comprehensive solution that guarantees the rights of Palestinian people and the establishment of an independent state in accordance with international resolutions.
The statement said Macron expressed appreciation of Egypt’s efforts in the growing crisis, as both leaders mulled means to revive the peace process amid the latest developments.
Last week, an Egyptian delegation was sent to Tel Aviv to mediate an immediate ceasefire, however, the mediation efforts failed due to Israeli intransigence.
The number of Palestinians killed due to recent Israeli aggression has risen to 212, including 61 children, 36 women, and 16 elderly, the Palestinian health ministry in Gaza said on Monday.
The number of injured Palestinians also rose to 1,400, according to the ministry, including 400 children and 270 women.