Egypt reported 1,160 new coronavirus cases on Wednesday bringing the total infection tally officially to 249,238 since the outbreak began in February.
The health ministry also reported 57 new deaths, bringing the total number of deaths from the virus to 14,498.
The statement said that 1,003 patients have been discharged after recovering from the virus, bringing the total number of recoveries to 183,696.
The Cabinet announced on Wednesday an extension till the end of May of strict anti-coronavirus measures that were set to expire on Saturday, but said public parks and beaches will be open.
The measures include the closure at 9pm of shops, malls, coffee shops, restaurants, and movie theatres, as well as the banning of public activities nationwide.
Public beaches, parks and gardens are exempted from the extension decision, and will be open to citizens.
The safety measures have been put in place due to a surge in coronavirus cases and deaths amid a third wave of the pandemic.
As Egypt has started its coronavirus vaccination campaign in January, around 1.5 million citizens have been vaccinated nationwide, according to the health ministry.
The country has received millions of coronavirus vaccine doses from Sinopharm and AstraZeneca and large batches are set to arrive during the coming weeks.
Egypt, besides receiving millions of vaccine doses already, has taken official steps to locally produce the Chinese Sinovac and the Russian Sputnik V vaccines.
Zayed also revealed earlier this week plans to manufacture the AstraZeneca vaccine in Egypt in the upcoming period.