Last Update 23:0
Wednesday, 28 July 2021

Former presidential candidate Abul-Fotouh to remain in custody despite release order, says Egypt's prosecution

The renewed detention came despite a release in another case where he was charged of incitement against the state.

Ahram Online , Tuesday 15 Jun 2021
Abdel-Monaem Abul Fetouh
File photo: Abdel-Monaem Abul Fetouh (Photo: Al-Ahram)
Share/Bookmark
Share/Bookmark

Former Islamist presidential candidate and opposition figure Abdel-Moneim Abul-Fotouh will remain in custody on charges of joining an outlawed group despite a release order earlier on Tuesday in another case, the prosecution said.

On Tuesday, the prosecution ordered a 15-day detention renewal for Abul-Fotouh on charges of publishing false news and joining an outlawed group pressed against him in 2019.

The renewed detention came despite a release order in another case in which he was charged of incitement against the state in 2018.

Abul-Fotouh was arrested in February 2018 after he returned from London, where he had given interviews critical of the government.

Shortly after his arrest, Abul-Fotouh was placed on the terrorism list for alleged ties with the Muslim Brotherhood before his appeal against the designation decision was accepted in 2020.

However, a criminal court placed him again on the state’s terror list along with other figures for a five-year period a year later.

Under the anti-terrorism law, which has been in effect since 2015, any person placed on the terror list is subject to a travel ban and having their assets frozen.

Abul-Fotouh, who leads the centrist Strong Egypt party, is a former member of the Muslim Brotherhood.

He defected from the group in 2011 and has for years distanced himself from it. He ran for president in 2012.

Search Keywords:
Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.