Port Said officers acquitted for killing Egypt's protesters

Ahram Online, Monday 10 Sep 2012

Former director of security among four officers found innocent of killing Port Said revolutionaries during last year's 18-day uprising by criminal court, Sunday

Four security officials accused of killing protesters during last year's January 25 Revolution were acquitted by the Port Said Criminal Court on Sunday.

The accused were Port Said's former director of security Salaheddin Gad and three security officials, Ezzat Abdel-Hakim, Essam El-Amir and Mohamed El-Said.

The majority of police officers accused of being involved in killing protesters during the 18-day popular uprising has so far been released, the rest continue to face trial. No one has been found responsible for the deaths.

Estimates say that close to 2000 have been killed since the outset of the revolution and at least 1000 are missing.

*This article was amended on 10 September 2012 to correct the court date.

Short link: