Ultras Masry demand authorities keep 'Port Said Massacre' defendants safe

Ahram Online, Friday 11 Jan 2013

The transportation of 'Port Said Massacre' defendants to Cairo would jeopardise their lives, thousands of protesters said while marching in the Egyptian coastal city

Thousands of Masry Club's Ultras fan groups marched after Friday's midday prayers, calling on authorities not to transport defendants in the 'Port Said Massacre' case from the coastal city to Cairo, out of fear for their welfare.

Several defendants stood trial for their alleged role in last year's infamous incident, which left at least 74 fans of Cairo's Ahly Club dead at Port Said Stadium after an Egyptian league match when a host of home spectators attacked them in the stands.

The court should return a verdict on 26 January as the defendants are set to be moved from Port Said's prison facility to Cairo's Police Academy, where the court session will be held.

Protesters held aloft a host of Masry Club's Ultras fan groups members who are detained pending trials, while calling on authorities to keep the defendants in place.

Ahly's Ultras groups, from which most victims hailed, issued a series of threats if "retribution against killers" is not delivered.

Search Keywords:
Short link: