Last Update 20:34
Tuesday, 27 July 2021

Egypt's revolutionary forces march to Tahrir ahead of Port Said verdict

Revolutionary and opposition movements announce their support to protests planned by the Ultras this Friday for the martyrs of the Port Said football massacre

Ahram Online, Thursday 17 Jan 2013
25 jan
Egyptians march to Tahrir on first anniversary of 25 January Revolution in 2012(Photo: AP)
Share/Bookmark
Share/Bookmark

Two political movements, the Popular Current and the Free Front for Peaceful Change, have said they will participate in protests organised by football fans of the Cairo-based Ahly football club, the Ultras Ahlawy.

The Ultras Ahlawy plan to march on Friday from Al-Ahly Club in Zamalek to Tahrir Square to commemorate the 74 victims killed during the Port Said football massacre in February 2012.

Protesters are still demanding retribution nearly a year after the tragedy. A verdict in the Port Said trial is expected on 26 January.

In a statement issued earlier this week, members of the April 6th youth movement also announced calls to join the upcoming protest.

"Any weak decision from the court will not be acceptable and could lead to a disaster. We will also not accept innocent people being framed while the real murderers remain free," the statement said.

The political movements said they were preparing for the country's second anniversary of the January 25 revolution, under the revolution's basic demands of "bread, freedom, social justice and human dignity."

The Free Front for Peaceful Change, comprised of mostly young activists, launched a campaign called "We Want To Live" in order to mobilise public support for the anniversary protests.

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.