Anti-Mursi protesters throw stones at Muslim Brotherhood members near Tahrir Square in Cairo, April 19, 2013 (Photo: Reuters)
Leading members of Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood, from which President Mohamed Morsi hails, have condemned the violence at Friday's High Court protests and stressed on their demands.
Thousands of Islamist protesters held a rally at the High Court in downtown Cairo to demand the "purge of Egypt's judiciary" on Friday when confrontations erupted between them and unknown opponents, leaving at least 87 injured.
Mohamed El-Beltagy, a Brotherhood leading member, said in a statement on his official Facebook page on Friday that the "attacks aimed to ruin and distort the [protest] at the High Court."
"Media cameras did not see the thousands at the successful and peaceful protest all day and only focused at the violence that was caused by thugs and not pro and anti groups," he said.
El-Beltagy demanded that those carrying arms be identified after footage captured persons carrying arms were shown in the media. Ahram Online reported that footage came from both sides of the conflict.
Essam El-Erian, vice president of the Brotherhood's political wing Freedom and Justice Party (FJP), restated the protesters' demands against corruption also in a statement on his official Facebook page.
"No person or institution has immunity, at this point, after sick souls have violated figures chosen and given responsibility by the people... No president, minister, prosecutor or judge is immune – such immunity should be for tackling heavy duties and not hiding truths from people."
Ahmed Aref, official spokesperson of the Muslim Brotherhood, announced in a statement on Friday that the group's demonstration at the High Court has officially ended, reiterating the protesters' demands.
"[Our] fair demands are clear to the simple man on the street, [more so] than to political scientists and legal experts. We demand establishing a real justice system against all corruption because the regular citizen feels bitter when [he] sees the weak convicted and criminal members of [Mubarak's former regime] set free."
Ousted president Hosni Mubarak, former interior minister Habib El-Adly and six of the latter's top aides will be retried in killing protesters during the 18 days of the 25 January Revolution. The first session of the retrial is scheduled to take place on 11 May.
In June 2012, Mubarak and El-Adly were hit with a life sentence, while the six top security officials were all acquitted.
A fact-finding committee, drawn up by President Mohamed Morsi last year, submitted its report on the 2011 uprising and rights violations in the 16-months transitional period that followed to the presidency in January.
However, the results of this report were never announced to the public, which has recently triggered criticisms from political activists.