Investigations are underway into a new food poisoning scare at Al-Azhar University after students claimed they could smell kerosene in the fuul (beans) served at dinner on Monday.
Dozens of students protested the incident outside their dormitories in Cairo's Nasr City.
An official source from Al-Azhar dormitories said initial tests showed no contamination had taken place and the smell of kerosene may have come from the gas stove on which the beans were cooked.
This is the third food poisoning scandal to take place at Al-Azhar University in recent months.
On 1 April, over 500 students were hospitalised with food poisoning after eating on campus. Less than a month later, a second food poisoning incident made 161 students ill.
The double scandal prompted mass demonstrations by students, some of whom called for the sacking of Grand Imam Ahmed El-Tayyeb, who oversees the Al-Azhar religious-educational system in Egypt.
On Wednesday, the trial of ten people accused of responsibility for the 1 April mass food poisoning incident began.