Prosecutors have begun an investigation into the killing of at least 42 people during clashes between the Egyptian army and pro-Morsi protesters in Cairo on Monday morning
Prosecutors said they had found bullets, birdshot and Molotov cocktails in the vicinity of the clashes near the Republican Guard headquarters in Cairo's Nasr City.
A delegation of prosecutors visited Zenhom morgue where some of the dead were taken, while another interviewed victims in local hospitals.
The dead will be buried after autopsies are carried out, prosecutors said.
At least 42 people were killed and over 300 injured during clashes between supporters of deposed president Mohamed Morsi and the army at dawn on Monday.
The Muslim Brotherhood, which had been leading a sit-in at the Republican Guard headquarters for several days, said the army had opened fire with live ammunition against peaceful protesters.
The army, however, issued an official statement saying that "an armed terrorist group" had attempted to break into the Republican Guard headquarters in the early hours of Monday and had "attacked security forces."
One officer was killed and 40 soldiers injured, seven of whom are in a critical condition, the army added.