Pro-Morsi marches end violently in Mansoura, Ismailia

Ahram Online, Tuesday 30 Jul 2013

Supporters of Morsi organise marches to security directorates across Egypt, in protest at what they describe as police brutality in the early hours of Saturday in Cairo

Clashes erupted between supporters of deposed president Mohamed Morsi and opponents in Egypt's Nile Delta Mansoura and the Canal city of Ismailia on Monday.

Supporters of Morsi organised marches to a number of security directorates across Egypt, in protest at what they describe 'police brutality' during Saturday's clashes that left at least 80 dead and hundreds injured.

In Mansoura, violence broke out after police forces prevented a pro-Morsi march from reaching the security directorate as planned.

Police fired teargas when violence erupted, according to Al-Ahram's Arabic site. There were around 5,000 protesters chanting against Defence Minister Abdel Fattah El-Sisi and calling for the reinstatement of Morsi as president.

The marchers, some of whom carried symbolic empty coffins in reference to victims, set out from the Mansoura University Stadium to reach the security directorate.

Last week, an explosive device went off at a police station near the security directorate in Mansoura, the capital of Daqahliya governorate in the Nile Delta, killing at least one conscript and injuring 19.

In Ismailia, similar clashes erupted that saw pro-Morsi supporters, also marching to the security directorate, and opponents exchange birdshot and stones. The police also fired teargas in an attempt to end the clash.

No death or injury tolls were reported from both incidents.

Morsi's supporters and opponents have frequently faced off since his overthrow, leading to at least 200 dead and hundreds injured in the past few weeks.

Both camps have used firearms against one other, among other weapons, on numerous occasions.

The Ministry of Health said at least 80 had been killed in violence in Cairo's Nasr City district on Saturday, further enraging the Islamists who denounced the "massacre" and vowed to continue their protests. 

After one year in office, Morsi was ousted on 3 July after mass nationwide protests against the former elected president.

Morsi has been held incommunicado ever since.

Short link: