The nighttime curfew declared on Wednesday will be “gradually reduced” as the security situation improves, the Egyptian government said on Thursday.
The government announced a curfew from 7pm to 6am on Wednesday and Thursday in 13 Egyptian cities including Cairo and Alexandria. On Thursday it announced that the curfew had been reduced to the hours of 9pm to 6am, but it then rescinded that decision, making the curfew once again effective from 7pm to 6am.
In the statement in which the reduction in curfew hours was made, the president also declared that the state of emergency was a “temporary measure” given the country’s current circumstances, and that it will only be implemented in situations that threaten the country and citizens’ security.
The Egyptian government on Wednesday declared a state of emergency for a period of one month after nationwide violence following the security forces’ dispersal of sit-ins by ousted president Mohamed Morsi. Over 500 people were killed and thousands injured according to official figures, although both tolls continue to rise.
The statement expressed the government’s “insistence on facing terrorism and acts of sabotage” it said the Muslim Brotherhood was carrying out to “wreak chaos and undermine the state.”
Government buildings, police stations and churches were attacked and torched on Wednesday following the sit-ins’ dispersal.
The government statement added that it would respond sternly to any attacks on public institutions or citizens, adding that it will push forth with the transitional roadmap “approved by the people” which entails a new constitution and parliamentary and presidential elections it said would be inclusive.