A building that collapsed in Alexandria on Sunday, killing a retired army general and his wife, had been issued with a restoration order by the authorities in 2001, but it was never executed, Dr Hassan Allam, head of technical inspection of construction sites at the Ministry of Housing, said on Monday.
General Mohamed Nassar, head of the Civil Defence Department in Alexandria, said initial investigations suggest the building collapsed due to excavation and construction work going on next door.
Alexandria has witnessed a number of similar tragedies over the past few years. On 16 January, 2013 a building collapsed in the city's Mamoura district, killing 28 people.
According to official statistics, 12,000 real estate offences were recorded in Alexandria between 1 January 2011 and 30 June 2012.
Furthermore, only 129 of 29,699 removal decisions were implemented.