Police have arrested 25 members an unnamed militant group over attacks on the interior minister and Al-Warraq church, state-owned daily Al-Ahram reported on Monday.
A source at the interior ministry said the suspects were arrested in Giza, Sharqiya and Ismailia governorates.
They reportedly had "weapons, explosives, ammunition and bombs" in their possession and admitted attacking the interior minister and security sites in North Sinai.
On 5 September, a car bomb detonated near Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim’s convoy as he was leaving home in northeast Cairo, killing one person and injuring at least 20 others.
A few days later, Ansar Bayt Al-Maqdis, a Sinai-based Islamist militant group, released an online statement claiming responsibility for the attack. On Saturday, they released a 30-minute video saying a former army major was responsible for the attack, but did not make clear if he was a member of the group.
An interior ministry spokesman said the video "does not add to the ministry's information" and the identity of the alleged attackers would be announced soon.
Al-Ahram also said the militants are accused of last week's attack on a wedding ceremony at Al-Adra Church in Giza's working-class district of Al-Warraq, which killed five people including an eight-year-old girl.
The interior minister will hold a press conference to announce the details of arrests, Al-Ahram added.