Egyptian soldiers stand guard at a checkpoint during a dawn-to-dusk curfew (Photo: AP)
Egypt's administrative court ordered on Tuesday that the state of emergency be lifted at 4 pm this afternoon, and not on Thursday as was previously announced by the cabinet.
The court also rejected a lawsuit filed by lawyer Ahmed El-Seif El-Islam, who challenged the validity of the decision to extend the state of emergency in September.
Cabinet spokesman Sherif Shawky said the state of emergency has been officially lifted in accordance with the court's ruling, Egypt state TV reported.
However, military spokesman Colonel Ahmed Ali said on Tuesday that the Egyptian army will continue to enforce the nightly curfew until it receives an official notification that a court has ordered an end to the country's three-month-old state of emergency.
The state of emergency was originally imposed by presidential decree on 14 August, following the bloody dispersal of two protest camps in support of ousted president Mohamed Morsi. In mid-September, the state of emergency was extended for another two months, which were slated to end on Thursday 14 November.
On Monday, Egypt's tourism minister announced that the state of emergency had been lifted in the Sinai touristic city of Sharm El-Sheikh and in the Red Sea governorate.
It remains unclear whether or not the curfew – implemented in tandem with the state of emergency in August – will be lifted. However, a government source told Ahram Online that the curfew will most likely end as well.
Egypt's Deputy Prime Minister Hossam Eissa stated earlier in November that the curfew would end on 14 November.
The curfew currently extends from 1am to 5am, except for Fridays, the traditional day of protest, when it begins at 7pm.