Magdi Korkor, the head of the Islamist-oriented Labour Party (Photo: El-Amal Party)
A leading member of the Islamist grouping the National Alliance to Support Legitimacy has said that the alliance and the Muslim Brotherhood have no link with the bomb attack on Wednesday in Sinai that killed 12.
Magdi Korkor, the head of the Islamic Labour Party, said that there have been attempts to blame the Brotherhood for recent bombings and assassinations in order to demonise the group.
A car bomb exploded in Rafah on Wednesday targeting a military convoy. Twelve soldiers were killed and 30 injured.
Earlier this week, a National Security Apparatus officer Mohamed Mabrouk, who was in charge of Muslim Brotherhood file, was shot near his home in Cairo.
The Sinai-based jihadist group Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis assumed responsibility for the attempt as well as the assassination of Mabrouk.
The Muslim Brotherhood use peaceful methods of struggle, Korkor said, adding that the group refuses to resort to violence so as not to give security forces justification to use violence against them.
The Wednesday attack is the bloodiest terrorist attack since mid-August, when gunmen killed 25 policemen in an ambush on a security convoy in Sinai.
The restive peninsula, already suffering a security vacuum since the ouster of autocrat Hosni Mubarak, has seen a spike in militant activity since Mohamed Morsi's ouster in July. Attacks on state targets in the Sinai region have killed over 100 security personnel.
Dozens of militants have been killed since the army began a campaign against terrorism in the region after Morsi's exit.