Last Update 23:49
Tuesday, 20 April 2021

Suspected Islamists kill 10 in eastern Congo machete attack

Suspected Islamists killed 10 people in a raid on a village in eastern Democractic Republic of Congo and kidnapped several others, local authorities and a witness said

Reuters , Sunday 7 Feb 2021
congo
File Photo: Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (FARDC) soldiers rest next to a road after Islamist rebel group called the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) attacked area around Mukoko village, North Kivu province of Democratic Republic of Congo (Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1684
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1684

Suspected Islamists killed 10 people in a raid on a village in eastern Democractic Republic of Congo and kidnapped several others, local authorities and a witness said.

The attack, in which assailants used machetes, occurred on Friday night in the village of Mabule, around 25 km (16 miles) south east of Beni, the sources said.

'They killed 10 people here without any reason,' said Muhindo Mbela, a survivor of the massacre.

It was not yet clear who carried out the attack, though local authorities blamed the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), a Ugandan armed group active in eastern Congo since the 1990s.

The group killed around 850 people last year, according to UN figures.

'They simply finished off the victims with machetes,' said Mambo Kitambala from a local civil rights group.

Reprisal attacks against civilians increased sharply since the army began an operation against the ADF in November 2019, dislodging it from several bases in mountainous jungle near the Ugandan border.

'We confirm the attack on the village of Mabule by armed men we have identified as the ADF,' said Donat Kibwana, the administrator of Beni territory.

Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for several suspected ADF attacks in the past, but UN experts have not found any direct link between the two groups. 

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.