Tunis wants Rome to extradite Moroccan suspect in museum attack

AFP , Friday 22 May 2015

Moroccan Suspect
Moroccan citizen Touil Abdelmajid (R) makes a victory sign as he arrives with migrants on the Italian navy ship Orione at Porto Empedocle harbour in Sicily February 17, 2015. Italian police said on Wednesday they had arrested the 22-year-old Moroccan man suspected of involvement in the March 18 attack on the Bardo museum in Tunis which killed 20 tourists (Photo: Reuters)

Tunisia has asked Italy to extradite a Moroccan suspected of involvement in the deadly attack on the Bardo museum in Tunis in March, the interior ministry said Friday.

"Tunisian authorities have asked for his extradition," ministry spokesman Mohammed Ali Aroui told AFP.

He said Abdel Majid Touil, arrested in Italy on Tuesday, was suspected of having provided "logistical support" for the March 18 attack in which 21 tourists and a policeman were gunned down.

Italian police said Touil, 22, had been in Italy before the attack. They said he entered illegally in February with a boatload of migrants.

Tunisian authorities say international arrest warrants have also been issued for an Algerian and a second Moroccan over the Bardo killings.

At least 23 people have been arrested in Tunisia in connection with the attack which was claimed by the Islamic State jihadist group.

Short link: